Auto Accident Guide
The first moments after an automobile accident are upsetting to everyone involved. It is extremely important to remain calm so you respond appropriately. Following are some action steps for you to complete after the accident:
Assess the medical condition of all parties involved
If anyone needs medical assistance, you need to call 9-1-1 and request emergency medical responders right away.
Keep a safe distance from traffic and roadways
In order to remain safe, you will likely want to move away from the vehicles and take reasonable steps to warn other motorists of potential hazards.
Contact law enforcement and notify them of the accident
Often it is best to leave the vehicles in the position they were in immediately after the accident until law enforcement arrives.
Exchange information with all involved parties and witnesses to the accident
The law enforcement agency will likely complete a report at a later date, but this information is needed by your insurance company as soon as possible. The information you will want to obtain includes:
- Name, current address, and telephone contact information for the driver of the other vehicle. If the driver of the other vehicle is not the owner of the vehicle, you will also want to obtain the same information for the vehicle owner.
- Insurance information for the owner and driver of the other vehicle. It may be helpful for you to simply ask to view the other person’s Insurance Identification Card. Please document their insurance company, policy number, and insurance agency.
- Name, current address, and telephone contact information for any passengers in the other vehicle.
- Name, current address, and telephone contact information for any witnesses to the accident.
- The license plate number along with the make, model, and color of the other vehicle may be beneficial.
Take pictures of the damage
Take as many pictures as possible, and sketch a diagram of the accident.
Disclose all relevant information to the investigating officer
Typically, it is not recommended to discuss the details of the accident with the other involved party.