• Shelby Office

    P: 712.544.2628
    F: 712.544.2030
    E: kim@landmarkia.com

  • Kevin Osborn

    Offices in Harlan, Irwin, Portsmouth, Panama, & Elk Horn. Call 712-579-0825

Home Insurance FAQ

HOME Insurance FAQ

Schedule your ring before an accident happens

Schedule your ring before an accident happens


Q: I accidentally dropped my wedding ring down the sink drain. Am I covered?

A: Yes, you are covered if your ring is properly scheduled on a Scheduled Personal Property Endorsement prior to the loss.   If not you have no coverage.

Q. I have an expensive diamond ring. Is this covered by my basic homeowner policy?

A: A standard homeowners policy includes coverage for jewelry and other precious items such as watches and furs. However, the insurer will not pay more than an amount specified in the policy. You should schedule your diamond ring by purchasing a Scheduled Personal Property Endorsement, in which the ring will be scheduled at the professionally appraised limit. Also without scheduling your ring you are limited to the covered perils of the policy such us wind, fire, and theft. Accidents are not a covered peril without scheduling.

Q: When I Travel is my stuff covered?

A: Yes, your personal property Is covered by the contents of your homeowners coverage anywhere in the world. In fact in the unfortunate event that at Christmas time your presents are stolen out of your car. It is your homeowners policy that would replace the stolen items not your car insurance.

Q: Am I covered if Water Backs up in my basement through the drain?

A: If your policy has a Water Back-up Endorsement you are covered.  

Q: Is A Renter Insurance Policy Expensive? What does it cover?

A: It is cheaper than you think. For about $15/month you can have contents & liability coverage. How much would it cost you to replace your entire wardrobe all at once? Or all of your dishes, pots and pans, and linens? Those few belongings may not seem like much to you, but may financially add up to a large amount when you begin to replace them. Your landlord’s policy most likely does not include liability for something that happens in your rented residence. Such as your dog biting someone or someone who is hurt at your residence.  Expensive is not having a policy when disaster strikes.

Q: My Dog bit my neighbor & My Neighbor had to get Stitches. Is this Covered?

A: Yes, a standard homeowner’s policy will provide coverage, up to your medical payments policy limit, for your neighbor’s stitches and medical expenses. Bodily Injury would also apply due to strict liability. Dog Bites account for 1/3 of all liability claims. If you own a dog you may want to increase your limits.

Q: A Power Surge Fried My Computer. Is this Covered?

A: Yes, under a standard homeowner policy, lightning is a covered peril. If you have the replacement cost endorsement you will be reimbursed for the full cost of a new like item. However if you do not have the replacement cost endorsement you will receive the Actual Cash Value. (Cost – depreciation) for the item.